The Canada Science and Technology Museums Corporation (CSTMC) is currently seeking a dynamic individual to fill the position of:
GUIDE, CASM (casual)
Reference Number: 2016/2017-CSTMC-037
Salary Range: $19.95 - $24.27 per hour Level:2
Employment Status: Casual
Language Requirements: Bilingual (B-C/B-C)
Security Requirement: Enhanced reliability
Position Number: 9722(Casual)
Branch: Canada Aviation and Space Museum
Who can apply? Canada Science and Technology Museums Corporation employees and external candidates
Summary of Duties: Reporting to the Manager, Programs and Visitor Services, Canada Aviation and Space Museum, but supervised by Visitor Services’ Supervisor, the Guide greets, welcomes, and provides visitors with information about the Museum’s collection ; demonstrates selected artifacts and equipment; delivers programs, workshops, and guided tours, based on predetermined scripts , and additional relevant information; provides exhibit security and participates in the provision of emergency security and fire safety services .
Education and Experience: As an ideal candidate, you hold a At least one year of post-secondary education in the field of Sciences , Engineering, Education, History of Science, Museum Studies, Leisure Studies, or Early Childhood Education, or, an acceptable combination of education, training, and experience. You have a certificate in First Aid and CPR.
You also have experience in the following areas :
- Previous interpretation experience in museums and /or parks and/or related fields in tourism;
- Public speaking or drama experience is an asset ;
- Experience working with young children;
- Relevant volunteer work is given full consideration .
- science and/or technology and/or aviation;
- preschool developmental stages ;
. oral presentation techniques;
- Canada Aviation and Space Museum's policies;
- customer service standards and practices ;
- tourism facilities in the National Capital Region .
- work under pressure;
- work without continuous supervision;
- work effectively in a team situation;
- communicate both orally and in writing in both official languages ;
- perform demonstrations in front of an audience and answer questions related to the themes presented;
- ability to initiate, stimulate and maintain visitor interaction .
- demonstrate interest in science and /or technology and/or aviation
- empathetic to the needs of visitors
- excellent communications skills
- high degree of initiative and judgement
- creative problem solver
- works well with children and adults
- team player
NOTE:candidates must be available to work both weekdays and weekends .
The CSTMC is committed to the principles of employment equity.
Résumés received for this position will not be accepted after the indicated closing time (midnight) and date. Please note that only candidates who are selected for the next stage of this selection process will be contacted. As a result of this competition, we may establish an eligibility list that may serve to staff similar positions.
If you are interested in this opportunity, please forward your curriculum vitae indicating the reference number 2016/2017-CSTMC-037 in your email's Subject line, no later than the closing date to: email@example.com
Posting Date: May 5, 2016
Closing Date: May 5, 2017
HR Officer, Staffing and Employee Services
Human Resources Branch
Canada Science and Technology Museums Corporation
P.O. Box 9724, Station T
Ottawa, Ontario K1G 5A3