Position: Adventure Guide
Organization: Northern Edge Algonquin
Job Location: Northern Edge Algonquin, Kawawaymog Lake (Algonquin Park Access #1), near South River, Ontario (on-site accommodation & meals available (see below)
Seasonal: June - August, with options to work in May & September.
Application Deadline: March 30, 2017
You’ve found your oasis. Breath in the quiet and serenity of our Algonquin Park home, and join our team as we present and host log cabin weekend getaways, rejuvenating retreats, conferences, and Algonquin Park canoe trips. Our Algonquin Park home is accessible, yet remote from your everyday city life. Just a few hours journey from the big city, Northern Edge Algonquin is a sanctuary from technology, cell phones and constant connectivity.
The Edge is a national and provincial award-winning nature retreat recognized by TripAdvisor as a Platinum Level GreenLeader, and by Destination Canada as a Signature Experience provider, representing the best in Canada. Our mission is to provide experiences in nature that help us rediscover ourselves, empower one another and restore our connection to the earth. We offer year-round experiences including yoga retreats, canoe trips, nature retreats, shamanism retreats, executive team building events, experiential education field trips, adventure and experiential tourism training programs and more. Program specialists are encouraged to develop and share their own expertise in areas of Creativity, Nature Connection, Adventure, Dreamtime, and Community.
Comfortable Algonquin Park accommodation & memorable meals prepared with care are the foundation for our fully guided experiences. All-Inclusive retreats & adventures at our solar-powered Algonquin Park nature retreat are hosted by inspiring adventure guides, retreat facilitators, and hosts who help our visitors reconnect, recharge, and re-inspire themselves.
Be inspired by handcrafted surroundings designed in harmony with our solar-powered forest home at Kawawaymog Lake, Algonquin Park, (20 km east of South River, Ontario). Northern Edge at Algonquin Park, is just 3 hours from Toronto, 4.5 hours from Ottawa. Summer accommodation available.
Adventure Guides fully deliver beginner-friendly Algonquin Park Canoe Trips and nature/discovery programs to guests staying at the nature retreat. Guides are the face of the Edge for these guests; welcoming them, sharing meals with them, teaching and instructing them on safety procedures & how to paddle, how to camp and delivering remarkable experiences in nature.
What you’ll do:
• Greet guests on arrival day and host them into the evening.
• Work with the team to pack and prepare all necessary food and equipment for trips.
• Host guests on overnight trips (2 - 5 days) into Algonquin Park, engaging participants in all aspects of backcountry camping and canoeing.
• Prepare gourmet backcountry meals on trip with assistance from guests.
• Provide instruction on basic paddling strokes, portaging, backcountry camping, backcountry cooking and No Trace Camping procedures.
• Educate guests on Algonquin Park history, flora and fauna.
• Deliver low-ropes initiative tasks and team building / leadership experiences in nature.
• Foster a caring community with guests and team members.
• Unpack and clean equipment at the end of the trip.
• Maintain a positive and professional decorum at all times.
• Work with our team, doing what needs to be done to ensure the safety & positive experience of guests.
• Champion the core values and identity of Northern Edge Algonquin
What you have:
• A passion for nature & introducing people to the outdoors.
• Initiative, motivation, teamwork, and exceptional communication skills.
• A deeply empathetic approach to your work, both with internal team and visitors
• Strong outdoor leadership and organizational skills.
• Strong customer service skills.
• Experience in the hospitality or food service industry.
• Able to demonstrate required paddling, portaging and backcountry camping skills.
• Knowledge of Algonquin Park flora and fauna.
• Wilderness Advanced First Aid or Wilderness First Responder*. The Edge is offering an Advanced Wilderness First Aid training April 20 - 23 that candidates are welcome to enroll in.
• Vulnerable sector check completed within the last 6 months*.
• Valid Driver’s License*.
• Candidates must have personal equipment: Tent, Sleeping Bag, Sleeping Pad, PFD, Paddle, First Aid kit.
*Proof of certification required.
$132 - $165/day based on experience.
Canoe trips generally take place May - September, with July & August being the busiest months. We are looking for staff who are able to commit to availability for scheduled trips and to be on-call for private trips that may be scheduled within two days of departure. Trips generally run Thursday - Sunday, with some custom trips running on customized dates.
Guides with strong interpersonal & hosting skills may be considered for full time work delivering & hosting year-round group experiences in a retreat-based environment.
• Send resume & cover letter to Work@NorthernEdgeAlgonquin.ca with subject “Adventure Guide Application.”
• Phone or Video Conference Interview
• Selected candidates will be invited to our Group Interview Canoe Trip April 28 - 30 (tentative date).
• Successful guide candidates are expected to attend our spring team retreat with seasonal and year round staff May 16 - 17, where guides will be allocated scheduled canoe trips.
Position: Adventure Guide